Our New Tour! November 17th 2014
This week we announced our Twin Cities Brewery Tours Brews 'n Bulbs Holiday Craft Brewery Tour. It is exclusively for the month of December and is focused on combining two holiday traditions: beer and holiday lights.
The tour starts and ends in St. Paul at Great Waters Brewing Co., with stops along the way at Tin Whiskers Brewing Co., Burning Brothers Brewing and Flat Earth Brewery. Within the brewery tour, we are also including the opportunity to enjoy the Holiday Lights in the Park, where all proceeds benefit the Saint Paul Police Foundation. To learn more and book the tour, visit our Brews 'n Bulbs page.
Looking for a new Thanksgiving dessert? November 11th 2014
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and it's about that time to begin planning for your big dinner. Many Thanksgiving desserts have the same pies each year, so why not change it up a bit with OUR favorite recipe.
Pies; some people do not like them, some tend to eat too many and get sick of them, and some find them too much work to make. How about trying a Frozen Strawberry Crunch Cake? From tablespoon.com, we tried this out and could not have been more pleased with the recipe. You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 box Nature Valley Granola Bars
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 lemon
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups freshly chopped strawberries
- Put the Nature Valley granola bars in a food processor and process until you achieve a course crumb. (A blender will work as well if you do not have a food processor)
- In a large bowl, add the crumbs, brown sugar, flour and melted butter and mix together. Then spread into an 8x8-inch pan that has been covered with parchment paper. Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes. Let cool. Then divide in half and set aside. (We did not have parchment paper on hand and sprayed a cake pan with cooking spray to make this work.)
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs whites and sugar and mix on high. Add the heavy cream and continue mixing for another 5 minutes.
- Continue to add the fresh squeezed lemon juice and softened cream cheese. Mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Fold the fresh strawberries into the cream mixture.
- In a buttered glass cake pan, press half of the crumb crust mixture on the bottom. Top with strawberry mix and then add the remaining crumbs to the top. (Because we used a cake pan to bake the crumbs and because the crumbs did not stick together like expected, I used a spatula and scooped into a glass pie pan instead. The ingredients fit perfectly!)
- Cover and freeze for three hours or more and enjoy!
We guarantee this will be the change in desserts you were looking for. Maybe even try blueberries instead! Take one of our tours to try your own variety of foods this holiday season.
New season! New tours! November 04th 2014
November is a bittersweet time for Taste Twin Cities Food Tours. Not only does it mean colder weather, it also means that our Riverwalk Tour has officially come to an end. The Riverwalk Tour had an excellent season, with some great tour groups and delicious food. The tours visited popular locations in the Minneapolis Mill District and Northeast Neighborhoods. Some of the stops included Sawatadee, The Old Spaghetti Factory, Solomons Bakery, Tuggs Tavern and Wilde Roast Café.
As the seasons change, so do we. Upon us is another year of our very popular Downtown Minneapolis Skyway Tour. The Skyway Tour started out with a sold out tour on November 1st. The stops along the way include Crave, Rock Bottom Brewery (to taste the local beer), Hell's Kitchen, Angel Food Bakery and Candyland.
We agree, winter can suck, but when it does and you're looking for something to do inside, our Skyway Tour will be a perfect choice to keep you warm and active during the winter months.